Madison Christmas Parade set for Dec. 4
Madison, Ridgeland and Flora all have Christmas parades set for Saturday, Dec. 4.
Madison’s Christmas Parade is set for 9 a.m. starting at Ridgecrest Baptist Church, 7469 Old Canton Road, and ending at the caboose on Main Street.
“Our Christmas parade is a big deal, and we’re glad to have it this year since we canceled it last year,” said Brittney Mayfield, general manager of events for Madison Square Center of the Arts.
The registration deadline to participate in Madison’s parade is Monday, Nov. 29. For more information, go to madisonthecity.com.
Trophies will be awarded for first, second and third-place floats.
Ridgeland’s Christmas parade is set for 1 p.m. starting on the Holmes Community College campus. The parade will proceed from the HCC campus, turning right onto Maple Street, turning right onto Jackson Street, and turning right onto Sunnybrook Road.
Mary Beth McCullouch, the community relations specialist for Ridgeland, said the city would have its annual Christmas Tree Lighting on Dec. 2 at the Old Town Plaza at 6 p.m. Christmas at City Hall begins at 5:30 p.m. Dec. 3.
Flora’s parade is set for 4 p.m. and will go along Main Street through downtown and will culminate with a Christmas tree lighting and fireworks show at approximately 5:30 p.m.
For those interested in participating, call Sheila Blakely at (601) 401-5006.
“I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas, and I hope people come out and enjoy the parade,” said Mayor Leslie Childress.
Mississippi’s newest city does not have a Christmas parade planned this year, Mayor Walter Morrison said, adding he expects something will be planned next year.
Canton’s parade is set for 6 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 2.
Other Christmas events
• Madison has the Festival of Trees lighted along Main Street; Christmas in the Country will be all-day Dec. 2-4 at Chapel of the Cross, 674 Mannsdale Road.
• “The Best Christmas Pageant Ever” will be presented at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 2-4 and at 2 p.m. Dec. 5 at Madison Square Center for the Arts at 2103 Main St. Drive-by Santa will be at Madison Avenue Upper Elementary at 5 p.m. Dec. 7.
• “Let There Be Peace,” an outdoor concert, will be at 6 p.m. on Dec. 11 and Dec. 12 at Ridgecrest Baptist Church.
• A toy drive at First Presbyterian Church of Madison will be from 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Dec. 11.
• Ridgeland will have its annual Christmas Tree Lighting at 6 p.m. Dec. 2 at the Old Town Plaza, and Christmas at City Hall begins at 5:30 p.m. Dec. 3.
• Ridgeland also has a mailbox outside Ridgeland City Hall, 100 W. School St., for children to write and mail letters to Santa. Letters must be put in the box by Dec. 15 and must include a name and address. Everyone who sends a letter will get a response from Santa, officials said.
• Canton’s Christmas Festival is underway through Dec. 23, including a Merchant Open House from Nov. 26 – Nov. 29; the 15th Annual Sip-N-Cider on Dec. 10, and a Canton Lights event from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. nightly through Dec. 23 that includes a carousel, bungee jumps, a train ride around the Square, fire trucks and more.