Gluckstadt aldermen recognize Germantown basketball team
GLUCKSTADT — The Germantown Lady Mavericks received a standing ovation and official resolution from alderman last week to honor their 2023 MHSAA Class 6A State Championship victory earlier this month.
Mayor Walter Morrison kicked off the March 23 meeting by recognizing all of the team members for their hard work this season.
“In 1986 I was part of the state championship team, and that was almost 40 years ago,” Morrison said. “Nothing gives me more pride. Every single year I remember how proud I am to be part of a state championship team. Congratulations to all of you and Coach Glasgow.”
Alderman Jayce Powell made a motion to approve, and Alderwoman Mia Bates seconded the motion. The resolution passed unanimously.
The resolution recognized and congratulated the Lady Mavericks for taking home their first state title in program history, and honored senior player Madison Booker for being named Mississippi Gatorade Player of the Year.
Head Coach Jamie Glasgow thanked the board of aldermen for recognizing all the hard work from her team.
“We’re proud that we represent the City of Gluckstadt now,” Glasgow said. “We’ve been here for 12 years and we’ve come a long way.”
In other matters, the board:
• Approved the swearing in of Felix Norwood as a part-time police officer.
• Unanimously approved a noise ordinance prohibiting loud sounds such as yard work and construction before 7 a.m. and after 9 p.m.
• Unanimously approved an ordinance for a Franchise Fee Agreement for CenterPoint Entergy.
• Unanimously approved a City of Gluckstadt Landscape Ordinance.
• Unanimously approved a MOU between Madison County and the City of Gluckstadt for the Bozeman Road project.
• Unanimously approved a site plan amendment for Classic Cars Development.
• Unanimously approved a request for a Grant Writing Quote from Stover Developments, LLC.