Warm Up with Classic Comfort Foods
(Family Features) With plenty of cold-weather events and gatherings to celebrate alongside loved ones, one classic way to warm up the crowd is hot, comforting food. Soups, chili, casseroles, stews and more provide perfect ways to shake off the chill that comes with the season.
Ideal for serving family and friends after time spent outside or just as an excuse to get together, Beet Lentil Chili with Aunt Nellie’s Sliced Beets and Loaded Chicken Bake made using READ German Potato Salad provide filling options for satisfying a group with eight servings each. Plus, they’re easy to make – the chili calls for 20 minutes of prep before simmering while the chicken casserole requires less than an hour spent in the kitchen.
Next time a brisk day cools your family to the core, keep these hearty meals in mind for simple options to warm up from the inside out.Find more comforting recipe ideas at auntnellies.com and readsalads.com.
Beet Lentil Chili
Recipe courtesy of Angie McGowan of "Eclectic Recipes"
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours
- 2 jars (16 ounces each) Aunt Nellie's Sliced Beets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 quarts low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 quart water
- 1 pound lentils
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup radishes, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco
- Drain beets; dice and set aside. Discard liquid.
- Preheat large soup pot over medium heat. Drizzle with olive oil. Add onion, celery, carrots and salt; saute until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, paprika, cumin, coriander, oregano, chili powder and tomato paste; saute until fragrant, stirring frequently.
- Add stock, water, beets and lentils. Bring to boil; reduce to simmer. Simmer about 2 hours, or until lentils are tender.
- Serve with sour cream, radishes, cilantro, onions and queso fresco, if desired.
Loaded Chicken Bake
Recipe courtesy of "Hungry In LA"
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) READ German Potato Salad
- 4 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- French-fried onions (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Lightly coat 9-by-13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread potato salad evenly in dish. Top evenly with chicken.
- In small bowl, stir together cream, salt and pepper. Pour mixture over chicken.
- Sprinkle with cheese, bacon and French-fried onions, if desired.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until casserole is bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes. Top with additional French-fried onions, if desired.