POCAHONTAS - Some of the clothes belonging to a murdered teenage girl were apparently found in rural Madison County Tuesday, the authorities said.

Madison County law enforcement officials helped find the body of the teen who had been kidnapped during the weekend, shot and left in a ditch a mile or so from the county line off U.S. 49 not far from Lake Cavalier.

Hinds County Sheriff's Deputies recovered the body of 17-year-old Katelyn Beard just off Darden Road in Hinds County.

"We went out and assisted the Jackson Police Department in the areas they wanted to search that were in Madison County," MCSD Chief Deputy Jeremy Williams said.

"I believe they found some clothes off the road in Madison County, but the body was discovered in Hinds County, and it was a Hinds County coroner's office who investigated the crime scene."

The Mississippi Highway Patrol issued an amber alert for Beard around 9 p.m. Sunday.

She was last seen at the home of her alleged murderer, Dewayne Thompson, also of Jackson.

Hinds County coroner Sharon Grisham-Stewart said Beard's body appeared to have been in the ditch, just feet from the road for "about two days," according to the Clarion-Ledger.

Jackson Police Chief Lee Vance said a tip from Thompson, who was charged with capital murder Tuesday, led to the recovery of the body.

Thompson was found and arrested, thanks to a tip, on charges of kidnapping, aggravated assault and auto theft at a nearby abandoned house on Ford Avenue in Jackson.

Jackson police found her car, with a Greene County license plate, Monday morning in west Jackson, less than a mile from where she was taken.

Thompson was arrested hours later after he was found in a vacant home nearby.

It was not immediately clear whether Thompson has an attorney.

Beard's mother, Melissa Keys, told The Clarion-Ledger that her daughter had met Thompson online and had known him no more than 10 days.

"She loved meeting people and being friends, she was the type of person that would go to any extent to make a friend with anyone. She searched really hard to find true friends and true love," Keys said.

Beard's family had just sent her money to come home, Keys said. Keys said her daughter - the oldest of eight children - had always called home if she needed help in the past.

"It's very hard, because that was my baby and I had her as a young mother. So many times before she's called and said, 'Don't be mad, please come get me,'" Keys said. "I kept waiting, and I wanted that phone call so bad, and I didn't get it this time."

Beard's grandmother, Pat Eubanks of Florence, issued a statement thanking police for their work on the case, according to WLBT-TV.

"The devastation we feel about the loss of Katelyn and the events that have unfolded the past few days are unparalleled by anything we have been through before," Eubanks said.